Microsoft’s popular Dynamics 365 software is a combination of ERP, CRM, and BI solutions into a single product offering.
It is a business platform that integrates all your departments and their operations, to give you crucial insights, to optimize and increase visibility within your organization.
There are two different ERP’s to choose from within the Dynamics 365 family:
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance & Operations (D365 FO) – formerly Dynamics AX
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central (D365 BC) – formerly Dynamics NAV
In April of 2019, Microsoft re-branded its all-in-one business platform, Dynamics NAV to Dynamics 365 Business Central. This new software application offers enhanced capability and a single, end-to-end solution for managing finances, sales and customer service. It has also transitioned the powerful Dynamics AX product from a legacy on-premise solution to the pure cloud Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations model.
What is ERP?
ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) is a system that helps organizations streamline business processes and allows for decision makers to make more informed decisions. ERPs are regarded as an essential tool for growing business. These days, businesses who focus on growth should be operating with some sort of ERP system.
Let’s take a deeper look at both ERP offerings from Microsoft to determine which path is right for you.
What is Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance & Operations?
Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations is designed to fuel steady business process transformation efforts across market segments. D365 is widely regarded as Microsoft’s most advanced ERP solution, and is on par with SAP Business 1 or Oracle.
- Smarter and more connected operations
- Intuitive dashboard reporting and data analytics
- Optimized employee productivity with Office 365 integrated applications
- Additional Microsoft integrations such as PowerApps and Flow
- Automated and streamlined supply chains
What is Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central?
Dynamics 365 Business Central is the latest version of Dynamics NAV, which is now available as either an on-premise or online pure-cloud SaaS model application.
D365BC helps companies manage, automate and improve the overall business operations so that projects can be presented on time and under budget.
Users of Dynamics NAV will notice that Business Central includes all the essential features they are used to seeing because D365 BC runs on the same application code as Dynamics NAV.
D365 also comes with new features and added functionality, topped off with a brand-new user interface.
- Improved sales and customer service structure that prioritizes leads based on revenue potential
- User-friendly time sheets that enable proficiency when creating and tracking customer projects
- Data Protection and support that is GDPR compliant
- Managed Financials and connected data across accounting, sales, purchasing, stock, and customer interactions
- Real-time charts and graphs that enable easy and informed decision-making
How much does Dynamics 365 ERP cost?
The cost can vary depending on the number of users and different features your business needs.
For D365 FO, a solution designed for medium to large organizations, costs start at $190/user per month on the Unified Operations plan and go up to $210/user per month for the full Dynamics 365 plan.
For D365 BC, costs start at $70 per user/month for the Essentials plan and $100 per user/month for the Premium plan.
Which ERP is best for you?
While both ERP packages have a number of functional similarities, they also have a various differences. When determining which solution is right for your business, you must understand the pros and cons of each system, which varies from business to business.
Making this decision is not as straight-forward as some might hope, which is why even Microsoft recommends partnering with an ERP solutions expert.
At Cal Soft we have experienced consultants that manage and deal with each system on a day-to-day basis.
Please feel free to get in touch with one our Consultants, we would love to help you determine the best fit for you.